[ic] Beima's Response!

Steve & Patti Getzinger steveandpatti@wubs.org
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 19:06:23 -0500

  I first wish to state I am in no way attempting to defend Akopia nor
Red Hat. I personally have received excellent service from Red Hat. Of
course I have heard claims the same about other companies that I have
gotten lousy service from. I think it is fate :) Next on the list is the
fee. I spent many years as an auto mechanic. You are billed according to
a labor guide. Now if I can do the work in less time than the guide says
should your price be reduced or should you be grateful someone with that
much experience handled the job? Regardless of how easy or hard
something is you are ultimately paying for knowledge. While I can
install in a heartbeat (except those nightmare RAQ's) that in no way
makes me an expert of Interchange.

  So they have a 3 hour min billing. It is your choice to pay or not to
pay and you chose not to. I find it completely unfair to say they should
only charge this much because... After all if you needed heart surgery
and you had the choice between the best there was for ... or someone
over here a bit cheaper. It is very simple they are busy people and do
not want their time filled with 1 hour here and 1 hour there. Try
getting knee deep in conditionals utilizing structs of functions in
functions and stopping to answer the phone. "What was that? You have no
clue how to type ./configure? Oh I see you have the rpm file and you
have no clue how to type rpm -ivh file.rpm. I see well let me hold your
hand and kindly point you to the basic UNIX manual as I listen to your
complaints for more features that I was working on before I stopped to
answer this." Now where was I?

If you think Akopia or Red Hat is ripping you off at free for
Interchange then go back to NT. After all in about 5 or so years
(providing NT survives) they will have caught up to where Interchange is
today.

Steve

I then point to the cost of Interchange. Mike Heins has taught me more
through Minivend than I ever could have learned just plodding along or
even taking a multitude of courses.

Jim Balcom wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Ed LaFrance wrote:
>
> EL>>I really...use).
>
> I fully understand...them $180/hour.
>
> The...hour of work!
>
> Yes, I...back to Slackware.
>
> Yes, I would...running!
>
> -= Jim =-

  WDI                          Steve & Patti Getzinger
  702 Lincolnway West          steveandpatti@wubs.org
  South Bend, IN  46616        http://www.wubs.org/
  219-287-4700 (Main Office)   317-535-0239 (Direct Line)