[ic] Please Help - secure.domainname.com doesn't work.

cfm@maine.com cfm@maine.com
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:37:55 -0400

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 09:33:00AM -0700, Ed LaFrance wrote:
> At 10:08 AM 04/04/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >     I am currently using Interchange 4.6.  .  I am just getting the demo
> >"construct" working with our existing web setup, with one exception -- Our
> >websites use http://www.domainname.com for regular access, and
> >https://secure.domainname.com for secure access.  My problem is with the
> >secure access URL.  If I set the secure_server to
> >https://secure.mydomain.com, when I click on a secure link within the
> >construct demo, it verifies the certificate then MSIE 5.5 says: "You are
> >about to be redirected to a connection that is not secure."  It proceeds to
> >take me to
> >http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/mycatalog/link_that_is_supposed_to_be_secure
> >  .

The secure link in the catalog.cfg is not the same as a "secure server".

Typically you would have something like this:

SecureURL       https://ssl.maine.com/Catalog/maine.cgi
VendURL         http://www.maine.com/Catalog/maine.cgi

but you can also have:

SecureURL       http://dev.maine.com/Catalog/maine.cgi
VendURL         http://dev.maine.com/Catalog/maine.cgi

(and with that simple change maintain an entirely distinct
prototype tree, BTW).

The error you are getting sounds like it is looking for the
https protocol, not the SecureURL.  This link:

> >http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/mycatalog/link_that_is_supposed_to_be_secure

is not https.  That will happen even if you post to an https page
**if** that https page redirects to a non https page.  We redirect to
a secure page which then does something like this:

Convoluted, but it seems to avoid all the warnings.  We don't let customers
log into our secure servers at all so a simple mechanism like that allows
us to set them up generically.