[ic] stable interchange-4.7.x.tar.gz + adjusted docs

cfm@maine.com cfm@maine.com
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:22:21 -0400

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 12:27:46AM -0400, IC-Admin wrote:

> Hi Jon (Jensen),
>
> Mike said the stable interchange-4.7.x.tar.gz version will be out
> within two months, will the documentation already have caught up with all
> new features ? You said that much more or different documentation
> will be out with 4.8.x. Which version will that documentation refer to
> ? To version 4.7.x or to again newer developments within 4.8.x.
>
> Is there be a "vacation summer break" in between 4.7 and 4.8, so
> that we get chance to catch up and get docs and versions in sync ?
>
> I wished the Akopia/RedHat team would take some time out and just
> relax in the sun. It's really hard to know when to jump on board for
> someone who has the luxury and option to wait. What's your advice ?
> When will be the time, where docs and version will most probably "be
> whole" again ?

I suspect that is never going to happen.  It's partly the nature
of perl and partly the nature of commerce.

It's also partly the rapid growth of ic.  There is a core,
there is a UI, there is a presentation system (templates)
that is mixed in.  There is "construct" which has taken on
a life of its own.

I sorely wish these could be split, more than just commenting
out "#use UI;".  People who are using "construct" and having
difficulty making minor changes to it are an entirely different
group with entirely different needs than those of us using
only the core.  (Of course the former group outnumbers the
latter maybe 100:1.)

The strength is the core.  ic is not very good at page building
and of no use at all that way when one's site is bigger than the
catalog.  Me, I'd say leave the site construction -"construct"
and templating - to other tools that do it better.  IC is plenty
stable right now as far as the core is concerned.

cfm