[ic] "Place Order" submit funk

kyle@invisio.com kyle@invisio.com
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:02:11 -0400

At 09:01 PM 4/9/01 , you wrote:
>From: "Jud Harris" <jud-lists@copernica.com>
>To: <interchange-users@lists.akopia.com>
>Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:12:11 -0500
>charset="iso-8859-1"
>Subject: [ic] "Place Order" submit funk
>
>Hey folks -
>
>I imagine I'm not the first to experience this problem, but I'm not sure
>what to
>search for in the archives.  So far, I've no luck turning up answers -
allow me
>to apologize in advance if I've missed some obvious posts regarding this.
>
>That being said, ...
>
>Sometimes (1/5 times?) when I click the "Place Order" button on the checkout
>page, I **immediately** get an error (either a 404 or a server not found, I
>forgot) from my browser (IE 5.5).  Note: it appears that it does not even
>attempt to contact the server, because it's SO fast returning the error, and I
>find no errors in the apache logs.
>
>When I hit the back button and click "Place Order" again, it works just fine.
>
>I'm assuming this might be a wierd ssl/IE problem?
>
>Anyone?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>-Jud

Sounds like an Apache setting:

Look in your httpd.conf (or wherever your ssl section is) for:

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
 nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
 downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

You will need to add this (or uncomment) it in your file.

--------------

>From an httpd.conf.ssl file on 1 machine I work on:

#   SSL Protocol Adjustments:
#   The safe and default but still SSL/TLS standard compliant shutdown
#   approach is that mod_ssl sends the close notify alert but doesn't wait for
#   the close notify alert from client. When you need a different shutdown
#   approach you can use one of the following variables:
#   ssl-unclean-shutdown:
#     This forces an unclean shutdown when the connection is closed, i.e. no
#     SSL close notify alert is send or allowed to received.  This violates
#     the SSL/TLS standard but is needed for some brain-dead browsers. Use

^^^^^^^^ (IOW MSIE)

#     this when you receive I/O errors because of the standard approach where
#     mod_ssl sends the close notify alert.
#   ssl-accurate-shutdown:
#     This forces an accurate shutdown when the connection is closed, i.e. a
#     SSL close notify alert is send and mod_ssl waits for the close notify
#     alert of the client. This is 100% SSL/TLS standard compliant, but in
#     practice often causes hanging connections with brain-dead browsers. Use
#     this only for browsers where you know that their SSL implementation
#     works correctly.
#   Notice: Most problems of broken clients are also related to the HTTP
#   keep-alive facility, so you usually additionally want to disable
#   keep-alive for those clients, too. Use variable "nokeepalive" for this.
#SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

Kyle