[ic] Installing packages (problem with perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.27-1.i386.rpm on RH 7.0)

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 16:39:01 2001

At 07:57 AM 8/16/2001 -0700, you wrote:

> >>While trying to install perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.27-1.i386.rpm onto RH7.0, I
>get:
> >>
> >>error: failed dependencies:
> >>         libcrypto.so.1   is needed by perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.27-1
> >>         libssl.so.1   is needed by perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.27-1
> >
> >Those RPM's were built for openssl-0.9.6, RH 7.0 comes with 0.9.5.  You can
> >probably install both versions and still be able to use the old stuff for
> >binary compatibilty (like RH 7.0 Apache-SSL) and the new stuff for
> >everything else (using symlinks in /lib/..., if you know how).
>
>Thanks, Dan. At least you got me looking in the right place...  But, I still
>can't get it to work.
>
>When I tried to install openssl-0.9.6, it reported that it can't because it
>conflicts with openssl-0.9.5a.  I had thought of removing 5a, but there are
>a ton of dependencies to it and I don't want to remove everything else (as
>well as probably more dependencies as well).
>
>So, I got the openssl-0.9.6 tarball, untarred it, and did this:
>
>./configure
>make
>make test
>make install
>
>and it seemed to do a bunch of stuff, but when it was done, I couldn't find
>libcrypto.so.1 anywhere.  Same with libssl.so.1.  I am obviously fairly new
>at installing packages, but I can usually figure things out so this is
>really frustrating.  One newsgroup I found had a message that suggested
>ln -s libcrypto.so.0 libcrypto.so.1 - will that work??  Is it that easy?  Is
>there a major difference in so.0 and so.1?
>
>I am sure that other people with RH 7.0 are going to run into this, so any
>help that anyone can post would be greatly appreciated...  Thanks!
>
>Jason

Sorry Jason, I should have mentioned building the perl modules instead of
rebuilding openssl.  You should be able to install 0.9.6 and 0.9.5 at the
same time -- which is what you will need to satisfy the dependencies.  (on
goes in as so.1, the other as so.2, or something like that).  I'd like to
help you further but I'm heading out of town for the weekend, and
rpmfind.net seems to be down right now.  RH Linux administration can get
pretty complicated at times, eh?  Good luck,

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danpb@mail.com