[ic] Upgrading production 4.6.5 to 4.8.1

Mike Eheler interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 16:22:00 2001

I have searched the archives of this list, and found one topic about
upgrading, but dealt with just default/demo catalogs.

On our systems we have dozens of catalogs maintained by our users, and
we would like to provide the most seamless upgrade possible. Ideally we
want to completely replace our 4.6.5 server with 4.8.1, and as well
completely upgrade the administrative interface.

I have done some test upgrades using very basic default installs of
4.6.5's "construct" demo, and every time I did it, the store would work
fine, but the admin would be broken.. either the colours would only be
half changed, or in one test case (the one closest to an actual
production upgrade), all of the toolbars in the admin interface were
completely broken. Each bar simply had the word "line" and there were no
images.

I have scoured the web for any kind of an upgrade doc from 4.6.5 to
4.8.1, and have found nothing, other than a cryptic "Upgrade Guide" on
redhat's site, and the less-than-usefull UPGRADE file that comes with 4.8.1.

Any help/experience notes/anything is greatly appreciated.

    Mike Eheler
    Search BC Communications