[ic] [sort] across [more] pages

Ron Phipps interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 21:29:00 2001

> At 04:29 PM 08/23/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> >One of the drawbacks to the sort tag in IC 4.6.1 was that it did not
> >work correctly with the more tag.  Has this problem been fixed in the
> >4.8 release?
> >

> The core of the issue is that the sorting has to be done on the entire
> list
> of search results, before the paging with [more] is generated.  [sort]
> just
> isn't used in that scope, and I think its days are numbered.

I now understand the problem and can see why it does not work with more.

> Take a look at VENDROOT/lib/UI/pages/admin/item.html for an example of
how
> to resubmit a search with different sort criteria, to get the entire
list
> in the desired order across multiple pages.

Thanks for the pointer.  I had thought about doing it a similar way with
passing all of the options for the search as cgi values then building
the search based on those cgi values instead of passing them like:
/scan/se=/sf=/ etc.  However this would require that our static search
links be rebuilt.  Do you know if it's possible to get the values that
were submitted in a link that looks like this:
/scan/sf=display/se=yes/se=Case%20Badges/sf=category/ml=15/tf=sku/to=f.h
tml
, without rewriting the link to pass the values as a cgi string?  It
would even be enough if it came back as a complete string and I could
then parse out the sort option, change it to the new value, and rebuild
the string.

Thank you for your help,
-Ron