[ic] What do you think? (RH you idiots)

Thu Aug 30 09:53:01 2001

Quoting Jim Balcom (jim@idk-enterprises.com):

> Am I supposed to filter out everything from excite.com?

I do -- spammers where abusing their envelope-from (and Bigfoots) so
often I simply stopped accepting mail from those domains.

And Yahoo, and Hotmail, and anything else that doesn't have my specific
address in the To: or Cc: line gets canned. (I save IC messages to a
folder before that rule, so I see those.)

Bottom line is this -- I think the few spam messages per year are worth
not having to deal with the constant hassles of not being able to send
to the list. I am one who has many email addresses and comes in from many
locations, so I need it myself.

And I hate spam. Really hate it. I even wrote a tool (before SpamCop) that
helped me trace spammers. It had one feature SpamCop didn't have -- it
followed the URL in the message and then checked *its* URLs so that I
could complain to the spammer behind the free throwaway web page.

But now the RSS and the DUL do such a good job on killing spam I don't
see but maybe 20 a week these days. In the worst times of the past
few years, I got 500 or more per week.

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon