[ic] What do you think? (RH you idiots)

Thu Aug 30 18:09:00 2001

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Mike Heins wrote:

MH>>And I hate spam. Really hate it. I even wrote a tool (before SpamCop) that
MH>>helped me trace spammers. It had one feature SpamCop didn't have -- it
MH>>followed the URL in the message and then checked *its* URLs so that I
MH>>could complain to the spammer behind the free throwaway web page.
MH>>
MH>>But now the RSS and the DUL do such a good job on killing spam I don't
MH>>see but maybe 20 a week these days. In the worst times of the past
MH>>few years, I got 500 or more per week.

I hate spam too! I have repeatedly sent the offending messages (with
headers intact) to the abuse departments of their ISPs and in many
cases I've gotten their accounts closed. But, it's much like playing
'whack-a-mole'.

The spam got so bad on one domain name of mine that I have simply
closed that domain name down for receiving mail and all mail to it gets
bounced.

The few that do get through and don't seem to be coming from reasonable
ISPs get added to my sendmail configuration files (all 5 servers) to
reject their mail - IF they have gotten through the Blackhole Registry,
as well as 'domain name must resolve' criteria.

I've got nearly a dozen e-mail accounts. I've been amazingly spam-free
for several months. I've worked hard to eliminate spam from my life,
and I've pretty much succeeded.

Roaches greatly irritate me, too. And, when I do see one, I take great
steps to get it out of my house and my life. I treat spam the same way.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Thursday, August 30, 2001 at 18:00 PM:
Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.

This Linux System has been up 462 hours