[ic] UNIQUE IDEA

Randy Moore interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 13:57:01 2001

At 11:06 PM 12/2/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I've just been contracted to build an online dating site.  I've been kicking
>around the idea of creating it via cgi scripts and a SQL database.
>
>Upon further experimentation, I'm thinking I can actually use IC (which I
>know a lot better).  Has this type of application been used before?
>
>I can present certain information via normal search functions and set the
>flypage to 'members only'.  The fly page would contain additional
>information such as contact info, etc. that only paying customers can see.
>
>The only problems I can see is processing a card before account creation
>which shouldn't be too tough and having a member submitting a photo... also
>not hard.  Tieing it all together may be more difficult than what is seen on
>the surface.
>
>Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this type of application?

Hi,

You might have an easier time using Interchange if you go ahead an let the
customers create an account before charging their card (so that you don't
have to redesign the account management functions).  Interchange has a very
flexible access control system.  You can use that to restrict the the real
"meat" (sorry, couldn't resist) of the site to accounts that have purchased
a membership.  Account that have not purchased a membership would be
restricted to public areas (ie, they can't upload their personal info or
get full search results).

The only difficult part I see is doing automatic recurring charges if you
have to support monthly memberships.  Interchange (or to be accurate, the
foundation demo) does not have support for that built in.

Randy Moore
Axion Information Technologies, Inc.

email     ramoore@axion-it.net
phone   301-408-1200