[ic] Re: Static Pages listing items by sku - rephrased

Tue Dec 4 18:30:01 2001

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Patrick J. Walsh wrote:

PJW>>> But you can use the Static Page feature of IC to generate these pages
PJW>>> automatically, though it has its drawbacks.
PJW>>
PJW>>    Out of curiosity, wouldn't this improve server performance?  I
PJW>>understand that when you change flypage.html or product prices or
PJW>>descriptions, you have to regenerate the static pages, but otherwise, what
PJW>>are the drawbacks?  My site generates all of the pages dynamically at the
PJW>>moment, but I always figured that if we ran into performance problems, that
PJW>>would be one of the first stop-gap measures.

I think that to do so would tend to cripple a couple of features of IC.

I like to think that the product pictures that are along the sides and the
bottom are improving my sales. I would like to think that having these
pictures change every time they refresh the page puts a lot more images in
front of them. I figure that if I throw enough stuff out there that there
will be something that will cause their finger to hit 'Buy Now' on an
impulse purchase.

I do have some 'static' pages (as defined in todays mail) that I wrote early
on. I am gradually phasing them out and re-writing them with more dynamic
attributes.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Tuesday, December 04, 2001 at 18:25 PM:
A is A - Aristotle

This Linux System has been up 219 hours