[ic] IC and Java App Servers

Richard Cook interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 11:06:01 2001

Thanks for the different strategies. I will try and
explore all of these.

You are correct in divining that I don't really know
Perl all that well and wouldn't know how to design a a
complete website using Perl. In addition, if I want to
integrate with anything in the future, it would be
easier for me to do it using Java as opposed to
anything else.

Thanks,
Rich

> I'm currently evaluating IC as an e-commerce
solution.
> I'm more familiar with Java/J2EE, so I'm wondering
if
> anyone has implemented IC alongside a Java App.
> server.
>
> I would like to use IC as the basis for an
e-commerce
> website, so I don't have to write from scratch the
> things IC handles. I would like the rest of the site
> to run with JSP and an Java app. server such as
> JBOSS/Resin/Tomcat. Any other data needed would be
> stored alongside the tables required for IC in
> PostgreSQL or other similar DB.

One thing you haven't explained is what you need Java
to do that
can't be done in Perl.  Perhaps you explained it in
your 'more
familiar' statement, which is fair enough.  If at all
possible,
I would suggest ditching the Java code and recreating
the
functionality you need using Perl.  It'll cause less
of a headache
in the end, and you'll find support easier to ask for
and get.

Good luck.