[ic] Products Data Import Help Needed Please

scott andreas scotta@homer-simpson.learnserv.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:05:12 -0800

"Ronald W. Dorman" wrote:

> Problem solved.  I opened the products.txt file with Excel and then did a
> "save as" to make sure it was tab delimited.  Imported just fine after
> that.  The person that updated the file says it was saved as tab
> delimited, using Excel on MAC.  I used Excel on Win95.  I didn't think
> there were any differences in tab delimited text files from the different
> platforms.  Anyone have any knowledge or experience here?  Should we chalk
> it up to operator error and ignore it?  We will do some more testing here
> and let everyone know if we find a problem.
>
> I have a small concern because we are getting ready to turn this catalog
> over to the customer as a live site and they will be maintaining the
> products data base via the Import function on the Admin Interface.  I need
> to insure that this is as simple and solid for them as it is for me.
>
> Ron D.
>
> Ron Dorman wrote:
>
> > About a month ago we exported the products table, updated on a PC with
> > new items, then imported the file back into our database, mySQL.  We
> > have added many new items, now have 825 in the products.txt file (tab
> > delimited) and are trying to import it again.
> >
> > Not getting the data back in the database.  Get the following message
> > after the import process:
> >
> > Import of table : Upload succeeded
> >
> > then a list of all our products, then the following message at the end
> > of the list:
> >
> > 0 records processed of 0 input lines.
> >
> > I have searched and read archives and documentation and tried some of
> > the suggestions found to no avail.  Can someone enlighten me to what I
> > have missed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ron D.

> --
> Ron Dorman
> CSI, Inc.
> 804-369-5466
> 804-309-1494 fax
> 877-274-3477 toll free
> http://www.csi1st.net
> mailto:rwd@csi1st.net

If your using EXCEL make sure you add;

Database products   EXCEL   1

this will get rid of any EXCEL formating problems such as quotes and
CR/LF and other problems associated with EXCEL during importing or file
transfering

Then do a re-import or better yet file transfer all the data and wa-la
the data appears as intended.
--
J. Scott Andreas :)
Programmer/Webintegrator