[ic] Can't Get MySQL running with IC

Ralph Alberti interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Sun Jun 10 13:09:01 2001

> This is a common mis-understanding with new sys admins.  The database
> has a seperate user authentication mechanism from the operating
> system.  AFAIK, that's true with every RDBMS.

Yes, I realize this.

> The way I do it is every catalog has a different database user id (i
> use the catalog name).  In the variable.txt file you store the user id
> and password like this:
>
> SQLPASS passwd  Database
> SQLUSER userid Database
>
> (note that those are tabs.)  You then need to make sure this userid
> exists in the database.  I typically don't trust makecat to create my
> databases for me.  As root (or the database admin user) I log into
> mysql and do this:

I wouldn't think you would have to manually edit the variable.txt
file if everything worked properly when running the script.

Can you tell me something...If the script runns properly, do you have
to manually edit any config files to get a DB up and running with IC?

> mysql> create database catalogname;
> mysql> grant all privileges on catalogname.* to userid@localhost
> > identified by 'passwd';
>
> This gives the userid rights to do everything to the catalogname
> database, but no other databases.  You don't have to restart mysql
> after you do this.  But you will have to restart IC.

I did all of this. Do you skip the create database part of the script
because you create it manually?

  --Ralph