[ic] Can't Get MySQL running with IC

Doug Alcorn interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Sat Jun 9 00:55:00 2001

Ralph Alberti <ralphalberti@att.net> writes:

> Are you telling me that I need to create an Interchange user in
> MySQL for his to work? Interch?

This is a common mis-understanding with new sys admins.  The database
has a seperate user authentication mechanism from the operating
system.  AFAIK, that's true with every RDBMS.

The way I do it is every catalog has a different database user id (i
use the catalog name).  In the variable.txt file you store the user id
and password like this:

SQLPASS passwd  Database
SQLUSER userid Database

(note that those are tabs.)  You then need to make sure this userid
exists in the database.  I typically don't trust makecat to create my
databases for me.  As root (or the database admin user) I log into
mysql and do this:

mysql> create database catalogname;
mysql> grant all privileges on catalogname.* to userid@localhost
> identified by 'passwd';

This gives the userid rights to do everything to the catalogname
database, but no other databases.  You don't have to restart mysql
after you do this.  But you will have to restart IC.

good luck.
--
 (__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net http://www.lathi.net)
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543