[ic] OS X Install

Mike Heins interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jun 19 08:16:01 2001

Quoting F. Mitchell Felling II (mitch@orangebullet.com):
> Help!!
>
> I have been unable to get Interchange to run properly on Mac OS X.  I
> believe my problem to be associated with the "interch" user creation.
>
> I have attempted installs creating the user both with the System
> Preferences:Users tool and a manual user creation using the NetInfo
> Manager (I would prefer this manner.)
>
> In NetInfo I gave the User the following properties:
> 	realname		Interchange
> 	uid		72
> 	gid		70
> 	passwd		*
> 	shell		/dev/null
> 	expire		0
> 	home		/usr/local/interchange
> 	change		0
> 	name		interch
>
> I have successfully installed a Mysql database (which functions
> flawlessly with perl cgi's and php scripts that I have tried).  I
> have also installed the DBD and DBI, thanks to wonderful posts by
> Leonel Silva.
>
> I can su -m interch (-m flag needed since the specified shell is
> null) run /bin/interchange.  The server starts, populates the tables
> in mysql (on first run) and reports that the Interchange server has
> started.
>
> However, when I try to enter the store from
> http://localhost/construct I receive a permission denied error (403)
> from Apache.  If I chmod -R 755 a bunch of permissions in the catalog
> directory and the CGI directory, I can get the construct cgi to
> attempt to communicate with the server, at which time I am told the
> server is unavailable.  Process Viewer and the top command indicated
> it is running normally.  ( I assume normal is for the name to read as
> perl?)

This is really an FAQ. Try setting this in interchange.cfg:

	SocketPerms 666

Then restart.  If it then works, it is just a permission problem. The
permission on the construct CGI should be 4755 -- or you can use INET
mode and the tlink program.

But you always need to say what, if anything, is in the error.log file.

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

Be patient. God isn't finished with me yet.  -- unknown