[ic] Permission problems starting Interchange as interch vs root

Jon Jensen interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri Jun 22 11:59:00 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Curt Hauge wrote:

> Interchange has been runing great for months! (Thank you for this great
> tool!) I am running  several catalogs with NO problems. I installed the rpm
> as root and have been starting Interchange as root until recently when I
> understood this was not safe. However, when I start Interchange as interch,
> I receive these error messages:
>
> root@curt /tmp]# su -c "/etc/rc.d/init.d/interchange start" interch
> bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
> Starting interchange:                                      [  OK  ]
> touch: /var/lock/subsys/interchange: Permission denied
>
> Interchange does start up and seems to run fine. If I start as root, I don't
> get these error messages.

You always run scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d as root -- they're for
systemwide control.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/interchange eventually calls /usr/sbin/interchange. That
can be run as either root or interch. It just does 'su interch' first if
you're root.

The best thing to do if you're using the Interchange RPM is just what Mike
said:

/usr/sbin/interchange -r

And in the more recent Interchange RPMs this also shows you the startup
messages, whereas the /etc/rc.d/init.d/interchange script suppresses them.

Jon