[ic] Permission problems starting Interchange as interch vs root

Dan B interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri Jun 22 19:24:00 2001

At 12:01 PM 6/22/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > Quoting Curt Hauge (chc@mninter.net):
> > > (Sorry for the repost - I felt the subject line was important
> > for archives)
> > >
> > > IC 4.6.5-1 rpm - Construct - Default DB - Redhat 7.0 - Perl 5.6
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Interchange has been runing great for months! (Thank you for this great
> > > tool!) I am running  several catalogs with NO problems. I
> > installed the rpm
> > > as root and have been starting Interchange as root until recently when I
> > > understood this was not safe.
> >
> > Stop right there. Why is it not safe?
>
>Thanks for the responses, Ryan, Mike and Jon! (Ryan - I figured out to do a
>chmod u+s funtime to fix that problem)
>When I use /usr/sbin/interchange -r _OR_ su -c "/usr/sbin/interchange -r"
>interch (either as root), now I just get:
>bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
>Nothing in error logs. All catalogs function normally. Any other hints here?
[...]

Like Jon said, you don't need to worry about that error message.  But if
you don't want to see it, you can tell the su command to do a complete
login (assume the entire shell environment of that user) with an extra dash
character, ala:

su - -c "/usr/sbin/interchange -r"

Which, btw, I use so often that I alias su to 'su -' for that
purpose.  (I'm always suing to other users).
HTH,

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com