[ic] Permission problems starting Interchange as interch vs root

Curt Hauge interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri Jun 22 12:55:01 2001

> Quoting Curt Hauge (chc@mninter.net):
> > (Sorry for the repost - I felt the subject line was important
> for archives)
> >
> > IC 4.6.5-1 rpm - Construct - Default DB - Redhat 7.0 - Perl 5.6
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Interchange has been runing great for months! (Thank you for this great
> > tool!) I am running  several catalogs with NO problems. I
> installed the rpm
> > as root and have been starting Interchange as root until recently when I
> > understood this was not safe.
>
> Stop right there. Why is it not safe?

Thanks for the responses, Ryan, Mike and Jon! (Ryan - I figured out to do a
chmod u+s funtime to fix that problem)
When I use /usr/sbin/interchange -r _OR_ su -c "/usr/sbin/interchange -r"
interch (either as root), now I just get:
bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
Nothing in error logs. All catalogs function normally. Any other hints here?
I am new to both Interchange AND Redhat, so I won't argue that I need to
learn more, but I do spend many hours researching. There are SO many things
to know, I feel as though I am being swallowed up by Interchange lately.

I am a little confused. Is 'starting Interchange as root' and 'running
Interchange as root' two different things?

I read this: MiniVend will refuse to run as root; that would be patently
unsafe. It runs as any normal user.
I read it here:
http://developer2.akopia.com/archive/interchange-users/1998/msg00089.html

I read this: Important note: Interchange must not run as root...
I read it here:
http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/docfly.html?mv_arg=icconfig16%2e02

Thanks to all!

Curt Hauge