[ic] Permission problems starting Interchange as interch vs root

Jon Jensen interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri Jun 22 13:18:00 2001

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Curt Hauge wrote:

> When I use /usr/sbin/interchange -r _OR_ su -c "/usr/sbin/interchange -r"
> interch (either as root), now I just get:
> bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
> Nothing in error logs. All catalogs function normally. Any other hints here?

Just ignore that. It's only your shell trying to read the init file from
/root, and it doesn't matter at all.

> I am a little confused. Is 'starting Interchange as root' and 'running
> Interchange as root' two different things?
>
> I read this: MiniVend will refuse to run as root; that would be patently
> unsafe. It runs as any normal user.
> I read it here:
> http://developer2.akopia.com/archive/interchange-users/1998/msg00089.html
>
> I read this: Important note: Interchange must not run as root...
> I read it here:
> http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/docfly.html?mv_arg=icconfig16%2e02

Those are both correct. You aren't running Interchange as root. You're
running a startup/restart script that switches to user interch, THEN
starts the Interchange daemon. Remember, your system startup etc. all runs
as root, so something has to switch to the right user first. That's what
/usr/sbin/interchange is for.

Have you read README.rpm? It's in either /usr/doc/interchange-4.x.x or
/usr/share/doc/interchange-4.x.x or in a CVS checkout. It explains more
about using Interchange from the RPM package.

Jon