[ic] Interchange quirk

Guy Soudant interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Sun Jun 24 05:43:00 2001

Hi,

This problem is caused by the fact that your provider (or your system)
does not allow you to run daemons under your account. Once every x
hours, the system shuts down your Daemon, and you get the messages that
are shown.

There is no fix for this, but you can do two things:
1. ask your provider if you can run daemons (he'll probably say no),
2. set up cron tabs. Just check out after how many hours the Daemon
shuts down, and set a cron tab to restart the Daemon (eg. If the Daemon
is allowed to run 8 hours, set the cron tab to restart the Daemon after
7.5 hours). The system then sees that the Daemon is running less hours
that the administrator set to kill the Daemon, and let's the Daemon run.
Best is to look for a strategical time frame where you have only few
visitors, and restart the Daemon every day at this time. Even better is
announcing this to your visitors.

Regards
Guy Soudant

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Tim Prendergast [mailto:list@haxorwear.com]
Verzonden: zondag 24 juni 2001 3:30
Aan: interchange-users@developer.akopia.com
Onderwerp: [ic] Interchange quirk

Hi,

I'm new to interchange and have had a lot of fun learning about building
the catalogs. I have, however, run across an issue.

Sometimes (twice in the past 2 weeks) my interchange cart/store doesnt
respond anymore. My web browser shows that is waiting for a reply, but
interchange never comes back to the browser with the returned page (in
this case, the index page or the admin page, whichever I'm trying). The
only way it appears to be fixed is by restarting the server. Is this a
known problem? Is this something I have done wrong? (it's just a basic
install of interchange with the construct something catalog. I've
modified the catalog and the template layouts and images to fit my
needs, but havnt changed anything else. Does anyone else have this
problem? If so, is it fixable?

Thanks,