[ic] running the config file?? - NOT

FraserValleyBC.com, Tammy interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jun 26 11:58:00 2001

At 11:21 AM 26/06/01 -0400, you wrote:

>Jim Balcom wrote:
>
>> But, here is a basic: It is best if you are sitting at the console and
>> are logged in as root.
>> You can also telnet in and do it, but you will need to be able to log
>> in as root.
>> You are going to have to have root access to be able to get it
>> installed.
>
>Thats not true. You do not need root access to install or use
>interchange. You can, quite easily, install it in a simple user account
>as long as the web space can run cgi scripts. If the perl modules are
>not installed they can be installed locally in ~/install-dir/lib or
>anywhere else as long as you make sure the perl scripts are told to look
>there.
>
>The entire installation from begining to end can be done as a user with
>basic privlidges. You don't even need your own domain as I have
>installed it in public html directories (http://domain/~user) just as
>easily as in FQDN web space.
>
>I'm pretty sure Mike wrote minivend/interchange so that root access
>would never actually be needed.
>
>Chris
>
>p.s. On a security note: Telnet bad. SSH good. Do not use telnet if you
>don't need to. Whats the point of having a secure system if you are
>always sending your passwords in the clear? Terraterm supports a free
>implementation of SSH on windows systems. Niftytelnet also supports SSH
>for macs. Anyone not using SSH on a wireless network is simply asking to
>have their passwords bogarted.

Thanx for your help guys.....

I have untared the file but when I use a browser, and try to run the
http://www.mydomain.com/iterchange/config  only a text file appears.

I guess I am mistakenly thinking that I can run the install program from a
browser.

Maybe this is what over my head. I use WS_FTP to work within my root files,
and use a txt editor to edit them. I thought that once untared, I could
click on the config file and follow the instructions and get this done. I
guess not eh?

Tell me what programs I should be getting to do all this in, maybe I just
dont have the right ones. If this keeps up as bad as this, I may have to
get someone to install this for me.

Thanks
Tammy