[ic] running the config file?? - NOT

Matthew Schick interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jun 26 12:19:36 2001

On Tuesday 26 June 2001 10:57 am, you wrote:
> At 11:21 AM 26/06/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >Jim Balcom wrote:
> >> But, here is a basic: It is best if you are sitting at the console and
> >> are logged in as root.
> >> You can also telnet in and do it, but you will need to be able to log
> >> in as root.
> >> You are going to have to have root access to be able to get it
> >> installed.
> >
> >Thats not true. You do not need root access to install or use
> >interchange. You can, quite easily, install it in a simple user account
> >as long as the web space can run cgi scripts. If the perl modules are
> >not installed they can be installed locally in ~/install-dir/lib or
> >anywhere else as long as you make sure the perl scripts are told to look
> >there.
> >
> >The entire installation from begining to end can be done as a user with
> >basic privlidges. You don't even need your own domain as I have
> >installed it in public html directories (http://domain/~user) just as
> >easily as in FQDN web space.
> >
> >I'm pretty sure Mike wrote minivend/interchange so that root access
> >would never actually be needed.
> >
> >Chris
> >
> >p.s. On a security note: Telnet bad. SSH good. Do not use telnet if you
> >don't need to. Whats the point of having a secure system if you are
> >always sending your passwords in the clear? Terraterm supports a free
> >implementation of SSH on windows systems. Niftytelnet also supports SSH
> >for macs. Anyone not using SSH on a wireless network is simply asking to
> >have their passwords bogarted.
>
> Thanx for your help guys.....
>
> I have untared the file but when I use a browser, and try to run the
> http://www.mydomain.com/iterchange/config  only a text file appears.
>
> I guess I am mistakenly thinking that I can run the install program from a
> browser.

Nope, can't run the install sequence from the browser.....  If you are useing
the tar'd archive you will have to run the 'configure' script to set the
daemon up, and then run 'bin/makecat' from within your new interchange
directory.   It's just not possible to run these from a browser.  You might
also have to update your perl installation to include the modules needed by
IC, and that's certainly not doable from browsers.....  sorry :-(

> Maybe this is what over my head. I use WS_FTP to work within my root files,
> and use a txt editor to edit them. I thought that once untared, I could
> click on the config file and follow the instructions and get this done. I
> guess not eh?
>
> Tell me what programs I should be getting to do all this in, maybe I just
> dont have the right ones. If this keeps up as bad as this, I may have to
> get someone to install this for me.

At the bare minimum you are gonna need telnet access.   If you are running
windoze, all you have to do is click on the start menu then 'run' and type in
'telnet www.yourhosthere.com'.....  That should get ya the command prompt and
you can go into your IC directory and configure everything from there.

Course if ya want someone to install it for ya that can always be arranged.
:)

> Thanks
> Tammy

Matt