[ic] jEdit xml syntax highlight preview

Doug Alcorn doug@lathi.net
17 Mar 2001 22:29:35 -0500

Sorry to follow-up so far down the thread, but I purged the original
message.

"Craig Beasland" <craig@hotmix.com.au> writes:

> > At 07:39 PM 3/6/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I put together a preliminary look at my syntax highlight file
> > > for IC and jEdit.  You can download the jEdit XML file and see a
> > > screen shot here: http://www.sitemajic.net/jedit/
> > >
> > > Overall, I'm impressed with jEdit's syntax highlighting engine.
> > > Embedded perl highlights work pretty good and are completely
> > > separate from IC tags []. One thing I haven't solved yet is user
> > > defined PREFIX words; maybe someone else will have a suggestion.
> > >
> > > This is a WIP for me and I mostly use it for personal stuff- but
> > > if their is sufficient demand it could be refined even more and
> > > included in the jEdit release. Let me know what you think.
> > >

> > > -Chris Jesseman

I'm a fairly long-time xemacs user.  Switching editors is painfull.
However, I'm certainly willing to give jEdit a try if it means a good
mode for editing IC files.  The alternative is to write an
interchange-mode for xemacs.  Not something I'm looking forward to.
Thanks for your effort in getting it to work.  My first impression of
jEdit is not bad.

My first question is about indentation.  Have you done anything with
that yet?  I can't seem to get it to work.  I tried to select the
whole buffer and Edit->Lines->Indent Selected Lines.  That basically
left-justified the whole file.  I'm guessing this is a simple "indent
this line to be the same as the one before it."  I guess I was hoping
for (x)emac's smart indenting.

[time passes] OK, I've now actually read the interchange.xml file and
the documenation from jEdit on writing modes.  It looks like you've
made a really good start.  I will hack on it a little bit and send you
a patch.  Actually, i'm going to look closer at how to create new
modes for xemacs and see how it compares with what jEdit has.  It
looks like it should be too hard to flush out what you have.
--
(__) Doug Alcorn <doug@lathi.net> http://www.lathi.net chat:lathinet@yahoo|aol
oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543