[ic] matchlimit via categories solution

Fri May 18 16:24:01 2001

I'm working on my first Interchange site using the construct demo to start
from.  As a customer requirment, I need to limit the number of results
from
either a user entered search or the selection of a category to 20
items/page.  I've discovered that this can be easily done by setting
mv_matchlimit (also referred to as just 'ml') to 20 as a hidden form
variable at the search dialogue.  This mv_matchlimit variable seems to
take precedence over the default of 50 in [search-region] on the results
page.

My problem is that I also need to do this for the categories built by
[cat-exec bar_link] in the region templates.  My first assumption was that
I could pass ml=20 through the pre-built link, but I cannot find a way to
insert this in the building process.  My next choice was to determine if
mv_matchlimit had been set, and if not, set it myself to a default of 20
in the results page .. before [search-region] begins.  However, I have
very poor literacy so far as to how the different variable 'name spaces'
work and [set] or [value] does not seem to overwrite or set the variable
in the appropriate name space.

My alternatives might entail a great deal of work or homework (like
manually building
the category buttons).  Does anybody have a
simpler/more obvious solution
to this?

Thanks,

Steve Bourg