[ic] Re:Credit Info

RobertTrembath interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 17:09:01 2001

Mike,

I mean no injury or insult to you or anyone at RH. I know that you and
others here have put many years of hard work into what I think is the
best e-commerce solution written.

>I asked you not to post the not-recommended workaround to the list. You

did >it anyway. Therein lies my problem with it.

I apologize, but I never saw a message stating the above or I wouldn't
have posted it.

> Neither Red Hat or I have NEVER said that unencrypted credit card

numbers >would be a part of the feature set. I challenge you to find
where we did.

I merely tried to communicate that to some of us, this was viewed as a
backwards compatibility issue and backwards compatibility was promoted
as a feature.

>Also, I have a problem with *all* the messages you posted. Each one got
>bigger and bigger, as you left the quoted text on the bottom in an

almost >undecodable state, sigs and headers and all, not bothering to
trim or show >context. Actually, that is why I didn't get involved in
the thread until it >became longer. I ignore 95% of messages that have
lazy quoting.

I apologize for the lazy quoting. No excuses.

>I have turned down consulting contracts that required that I store the

>unencrypted CC number in a database on a net-connected machine.

I do not recommend this either. We do not store that info in the DB. We
merely wanted local mail for this store owner, (inside his firewall
locally with 3 people on his network and a secure Computer Room), to
contain the CC info. I expressed this in many messages and even asked if
someone could point me to a site that had good docs for setting up
PGP/GPG since it looked like some here were having an issue with PGP. I
had one person respond in 6 weeks. Sorry for the attitude.

I appreciate your direct (and educational ;-)) reply. I sincerely
appreciate everyone's help here and didn't mean to cause trouble. I
apologize if anyone was offended in any way. Just trying to help those
who asked, like I did, and had a hard time getting an answer.

Robert Trembath

Senior IT Director

e| Robert@ishoptech.com