[ic] Re: missing Perl modules

Bob Ramstad interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 12:29:01 2001

> foundation config error: required perl module SQL::Statement not present.

1) If you read the error message, you'll see that this means that
   SQL::Statement is not installed in your copy of PERL.  My
   recommendation would be to consult the Perl documentation on how to
   download and install modules.  "Rightgrade" to Perl 5.6.1 if you
   haven't done so already.  If you don't know how to do this, and
   aren't willing to learn, I'd strongly suggest NOT using
   Interchange.

2) Could someone PLEASE write up a beginners installation document for
   Interchange?  There will ALWAYS be newbies trying to pick up
   Interchange, and there will ALWAYS be questions which are really
   more sysadmin type questions than "real" Interchange questions.  If
   a document existed which covered these questions, we could just
   RTFM and move on.

Seriously, folks, the signal to noise ratio on this list seems to be
totally going to hell.  I also suspect that if someone sat down with a
vanilla RedHat installation and documented everything they needed to
do to get Interchange running, they'd be surprised at how hard it
really is...  It's hard!  There are lots of steps, and someone who
doesn't really know system administration will have some real issues
getting it to run without some good instructions.

Someone who knew Interchange really well doing a vanilla install might
also find some of these errors / bugs that folks have been reporting.

I don't think it's reasonable to say that folks without the right
expertise shouldn't be trying to run Interchange.  They'll try, it
won't work, and they'll come here for help.  That's what has been
happening, and will continue to happen.

As far as Perl is concerned, the doc should probably explain how to
use the interactive CPAN shell, have a list of required modules, and
an example of an error message that Interchange throws when a module
is missing.  Probably also good to recommend a specific Perl version
i.e. minimum 5.6.0 best to be running the latest and greatest.

-- Bob