[ic] Selling physical or downloadable goods, plus unlock codes

Beachey, Kendric interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 09:30:00 2001

I am investigating Interchange as a way to get us off of MS Site Server.  We
currently have three main types of stuff that we sell on line:

1) physical goods--this is easy to understand how to do with Interchange, of
course.  (interfacing with our existing databases and systems is a question
for another time)

2) downloadable goods--you select what you need, then you give us your
credit card number, then we give you a link to the file you are to download.
I searched the archives of this list and saw some people referring to the
"simple" catalog that (at least used to) come with Interchange, because
apparently it had some downloadable products set up.  Has anyone managed to
follow through and make good use of this method of selling with Interchange?
If so, I'd like to ask you some questions.

3) magic ASCII strings--you buy one of our products at a store somewhere,
and then you come to our e-commerce site.  You select what you need, give us
some serial number type stuff from the product you bought, give us your
credit card number, and then we run some algorithm on the server to
calculate an unlock code given what the user entered.  We then display this
on the next page so the user can copy it down.  Has anyone done anything
like this with Interchange?

--
Kendric Beachey