[ic] groups in userdb

Fri Oct 5 15:58:00 2001

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 09:14:40PM +0200, Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for various reasons I need to organize at least some (hundert)
> users in groups. Well, after a while I found where user
> authentication is done, it's part of the "core" interchange.
> Since I don't want to modify something there, I though it should
> work to add the functionality in the catalog by some perl code.
> For that, I added a group_id column to the database table (I use
> postgres). Via a [data] tag (or similar) it's possible to read
> out the gid, but it seems to be a lot of work. I think to store
> the gid in the session on first request (as a kind of cache).
>
> But before I start to implement this, I would like to hear some
> comments, maybe I'm on the wrong way with this approach. If
> somebody could say a few sentences about it, I would be glad.
> Thank you.

Clarify "group" or try to avoid it.  In perl/DBI/UNIX that is
going to cause confusion and clashes with reserved words and
functions that might not be what you want.

I think IC does everything you want already if you just add
the field and reload.  You might also look at AUTOLOAD if
you need this in each page setup.

Your gut feeling about avoiding modifications to core is sound.  :-)

cfm