[ic] groups in userdb

Steffen Dettmer interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 16:22:01 2001

* Mike Heins wrote on Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 15:40 -0400:
> Quoting Steffen Dettmer (steffen@dett.de):
> > for various reasons I need to organize at least some (hundert)
> > users in groups.
>
> This is automatically done for you. Add the column to userdb and
> voila! it is in the session.

Ohh, really... Well, I think I read about it somewhere in the
documentation but it's a lot of :).

> However, with something important like a GID I would recommend
> using Scratch to hold it
>     UserDB  default scratch "group_id dealer price_level etc"

Well, so easy is it? Hum. I used something like
[perl ...]
   $gid = $Tag->Data(get-gid things) && $Tag->Set("gid", $gid) && "";
[/perl]

Another detail: (this is all just playing around, but). First I
checked [if scratch gid], and look up from the DB only if unset.
By this, I found that the gid "survives" logout (the one from the
foundation demo). Well, is it possible to see the contents of the
session? I think the admin GUI has such a function, but I need to
re-login there all the time... Currently I have no nice idea how
to debug a catalog. I tail -f error.log in one window and used
some return "<!-- debug str -->", but this isn't be really nice.
Are there better possibilities (except strace and gdb :))?

Thank you for the information, I'll review docs now :)

oki,

Steffen