[ic] Random? Items not appearing

Mon Oct 29 12:23:36 2001

At 11:32 AM 10/29/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello again all,
>         One of our IC (4.8.2 RH7.1, Perl 5.6.1) sites appears to be
> "forgetting" about a few item in the database.  Everything shows up fine
> in the admin UI, you can search for/modify/delete/clone the items in the
> UI.  But the front end doesn't display them.  You can do a search for the
> or other unique text/entries the item may have and it will always come up with:
>
>Sorry, I didn't find any matches for ARRAY(0x837df18).
>
>With no error.log entry.
>
>I've checked the txt structure.  Deleted the gdbm/recreated it.  I even
>tried deleting the entry, and then recreating it with the same sku #.  The
>behavior is still the same.  This got me to thinking that there might be
>an old entry fragment or something.  I checked all  the db/txt files and
>couldn't find any reference to any of the faulty sku's.  They only appear
>in the products table.  At this point I'm almost thinking that it is some
>strange quirk in GDBM, and am about ready to try migrating it to pgsql to
>see if that corrects the problem.  There are only 3/>500 items that
>exhibit this behavior, and before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone on
>the list has experienced anything similar to this.

The UI is in fact build of 100% IC: IML, Usertags and a module or two - and
it queries and acts on the same data as the front end.  Search terms can be
different, however; the search which returns the item list in the UI is
less restrictive than the one that filters category links or keyword
searches in the store, for example.

There is a good chance that something about the "missing" items excludes
them from the front-end searches: perhaps illegal characters in the sku,
errors in the category field, inactive field set to true, etc. I know it
seems oversimplified but I would look at these things first before
suspecting code issues.

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax