[ic] Frustrated with IC 4.8

Boyd Lynn Gerber interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 22:57:01 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, IC-Admin wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> > I must say that I had IC 4.6.5 up and running a lot easier than 4.8.  I am
> > still fighting with the differences.  Minivend-IC-4.6.5 was to me a lot
> > easier.  I found earlier CVS version of 4.8 easier to use than the
> > Release.  I still think IC is a great product.  I just get frustrated with
> > error that I could resolve a lot easier on prior version.  I know that a
> > lot of my problems are that my OS does things different that linux.  I am
> > using Caldera/SCO UnixWare and OpenUNIX.  I gave up trying to get it to
> > work on OpenServer.
> > Thanks,
> Is that really something you can't get solved with the help of
> the RH development team ?

Sorry you hit on a subject that triggered a lot of feelings...

No, but I would have to pay for every version to be fixed for the OS's

I asked for a quote on cost for getting it to work on Caldera OpenServer
and was told it would start at about $2000.00 and could be a lot more.
What frustrated me was it core dumps and is the only OpenSource program
that core dumps.

I am some what OK with perl.  I add the thread code for UnixWare on perl
5.6.0.  I do not claim to be a perl expert, but all the different perl
programs I have written do work.  I have submitted a few patches to the
perl development and they have been used.

If I could afford or had enough money and I would glady pay for each IC
version to work on the platforms I have.  Right now I am strugling.  I
have been in business for 22 years and right now because people have not
paid I am close to losing my business and home.  I spend way too much time
on many OpenSource Projects making patches and reporting errors, helping
others to get it working.  Allowing my machines to be used for free to
make sure it works on the OS's I have.  I try to post my experience to the
list to help others with the same OS's I have offered the resources I have
to make IC work.  My problem is right now I do not have the finances to
pay to get the kinks fixed.  What I see is they are fixed for one release
and then get broken in the next.

For example a year ands a half ago I was getting errors with pod2man.
They fixed the problems with pod2man.  Then they changed to a different
method of generating the pod files in Sept-Oct last year.  Now I get tons
of these errors...

./configure
/usr/local/bin/pod2man: bad option in paragraph 50 of pod/iccattut.pod:
``-r'' should be [CB]<-r>
/usr/local/bin/pod2man: bad option in paragraph 52 of pod/iccattut.pod:
``-r'' should be [CB]<-r>
/usr/local/bin/pod2man: bad option in paragraph 54 of pod/iccattut.pod:
``-c'' should be [CB]<-c>
/usr/local/bin/pod2man: bad option in paragraph 54 of pod/iccattut.pod:
``-r'' should be [CB]<-r>
/usr/local/bin/pod2man: bad option in paragraph 54 of pod/iccattut.pod:
``-c'' should be [CB]<-r>
/usr/local/bin/pod2man: bad option in paragraph 56 of pod/iccattut.pod:
``-r'' should be [CB]<-r>d2man: bad option in paragraph 54 of pod/iccattut.pod:
``-r'' should be [CB]<-l>
/usr/local/bin/pod2man: bad option in paragraph 89 of pod/iccattut.pod:
``-l'' should be [CB]<-l>
/usr/local/bin/pod2man: bad option in paragraph 98 of pod/iccattut.pod:
``-F'' should be [CB]<-F>

The above happens on every version of perl I have tried from perl5.005_03
to perl 5.6.1 with the three SCO/Caldera OS's (OpenServer, UnixWare and
OpenUNIX native)  LKP mode does work.  I was told I would have to
pay to have it fixed.

A second item...

I spent or a week fighting with IC 4.8.1 trying to get it to work over my
existing 4.6.5.  To get IC 4.8.1 to work I had to move the interchange
directory and install a fresh interchange directory.  The fresh install
was rather painless.  It was just on the previous version IC, it could be
installed over the existing with out really any problems.  This was not
the case with 4.8.1

About a year ago I found a problem with getting CVS version of IC.
Getting the CVS from the akopia site would give random failures.  What it
boiled down to was that different version of CVS reacted differently.
With just Linux there was no problem, but with every SCO/Caldera OS it
exists.  Once we both were using the latest versions of CVS, it was fixed.

I guess what I see is a OS learning curve and things are different with
the OS's I use.  I have worked with the MySQL people and the various
sripts are now independent of OS.  I have to change them for my System V
stuff.  I know the Red Hat people to be very knowledge able on Linux and
other OS's, but from what I have been told when I asked for guesstiments
on getting it to work on the three OS's I use they are not and it would be
rather costly to constantly pay for them.

Using gnupg was rather easy on 4.6.5. It took a bit of time but I was able
to get it working.  I have fought with 4.8.1 for over two months and I
guess I am really a dunce when it comes to IC 4.8.1.  I cannot figure out
how to get the foundation demo to use gnupg.  Right now I get this message
"NEED ENCRYPTION ENABLED." encrypted instead of the Credit Card
Information.  I have to use gnupg to decrypt my message.  This tells me I
have encryption working or I would not have to use gpg --decrypt to read
my message "NEED ENCRYPTION ENABLED".  I have tried to use the UI admin,
entering in the information.  I am stumped at what to do.  This is what I
used for IC 4.6.5 in the variable.txt file.

ENCRYPTOR       /usr/local/bin/gpg -e -a -q --batch --no-tty
--always-trust -r gerberb@zenez.com 2>encrypt.error        Payment

I have tried it or set it any way I could think of including putting gpg
in /usr/bin.  All being wrong.

This is my public_key.

I have tried setting
PAYGATE pgp
PAYGATE gpg
PAYGATE	/usr/local/bin/gpg -e -a -q --batch --no-tty
--always-trust -r gerberb@zenez.com 2>encrypt.error        Payment

PGP
PGP	pgp
PGP	gpg
PGP	gpg	Encryption
PGP	/usr/local/bin/gpg
PGP     gpg     Payment,
PGP     /usr/local/bin/gpg      Payment

PGP_KEY	the_public_key_above
PGP_KEY gerberb@zenez.com       Encryption
PGP_KEY	the_public_key_above	Encryption
PGP_KEY	the_public_key_above	Payment

In the UI
/usr/local/gerberb/.gnupg/gerberbpublic.gpg
or
/usr/local/gerberb/.gnupg/gerberb.pub

putting in the publice key above.

and every other combination I could think of.  The way I read the code
which is probably wrong I should find gpg and give me a list of the
public keys on the interchange public keyring in...

/usr/local/interchange/.gnupg/pubring.gpg .

I guess what this boils down to is using a OS that is truely supported.  I
just really love IC and I have a few sites working with out any problem
with IC 4.6.5,

Sorry for all this.  The discussion just triggered a lot of deep feelings.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>
ZENEZ	3748 Valley Forge Road, Magna Utah  84044