[ic] [set members_only][/set] vs [tmp members_only][/tmp]

Fri Sep 21 13:03:01 2001

At 09:47 AM 09/21/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>At 09:41 AM 9/21/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>>At 04:36 PM 09/21/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>>>Hi list,
>>>
>>>What is the difference between [set members_only][/set] and [tmp
>>>members_only][/tmp] ?
>>>In the foundation shop, they are both used, is there a reason behind
>>>which one to use ?
>>
>>I haven't used [tmp] much, but my reading of the tag ref seems to
>>indicate that [tmp] keys expire when page delivery is completed and the
>>session is updated.  On the other hand, [scratch] keys, once set, will
>>persist across multiple pages and generally don't expire until the
>>session itself expires.  So use [tmp] when you only want to retain a
>>value within one page, use [scratch] when you want to retain a value
>>across several pages or for the duration of the user's session.
>>
>>NOTE: I am surmising quite a bit here - anyone else care to comment?
>>
>>- Ed L.
>
>Ed is indeed correct, and that means tmp is faster (by an order of
>milliseconds, I'm sure) in cases where nothing has to be written to the
>user session.
>
>Dan Browning <danpb@mail.com>

For clarity, I should correct myself - substitute [set] where I had used
[scratch] above.  [scratch] is used to invoke a value which was previously
assigned with either [set]/[seti] or [tmp].

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax