[ic] What database should I use

Mon Apr 8 02:21:00 2002

Quoting Ulf Holt (ulf.holt@onsite-data.no):
> I am not very deep into databases, and as far as I know, most people
> use MySQL for IC, but some of my friends tell me that postgresql is
> better and more reliable.

They are both good. We don't get into that here, there are other venues.

I know just enough about MySQL to crate a
> database and give a user access (hope I don't give to much accesss -
> is there anything I must do to prevent external users to get access to
> the database?), but I know nothing about postgresql. So far I am just
> playing around trying to learn how to us IC, but later on I will go
> online, so I have to concider reliability, backup etc.

All other things being equal, it is easier with IC to get a test
site up on MySQL, since it uses the test_* database name which is
by default access-control-free.

Both are pretty easy in default configurations. If you have something
that has been customized by your admins, there is no alternative to
digging into the documentation and getting information from them.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon