[ic] Now: Re: Charging sales tax to Billing State

Tue Apr 16 09:06:01 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 01:21:28AM -0400, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting cfm@maine.com (cfm@maine.com):
> > On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 09:41:47AM -0400, Rick Shank wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, I guess I mixed up what I was asking.  The technically correct way
> > > to charge sales tax is the the purchaser, not necessarily the receiver.
> > > So, if the billing state is filled in, then sales tax should be calculated
> > > to this, if not, then assume that Billing Address == Shipping Address, so
> > > calculate based on the Shipping State.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on how to implement this easily?
> >
> > That is not true in all states.  At least here in maine sales tax goes
> > according to shipping address.  So if you buy out of state but ship to maine
> > it is taxable.
> >
> > easily?
> >

> In catalog.cfg:
>
> 	SalesTax   tax_state
>
> At top of checkout.html and appropriate place in etc/profiles.order:
>
> 	[if value b_state]
> 		[value name=tax_state set="[value b_state]" hide=1]
> 	[else]
> 		[value name=tax_state set="[value state]" hide=1]
> 	[/else]
> 	[/if]

I guess that is easy enough.  My head was all spinning over what
happens were I to purchase something from that catalog and
have it shipped it to Maine.  Something along lines of:

my($karma);
for grep keys %{$values} {
  if($_=~/_state$/) {
  	$karma++;