[ic] Manufacturers

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Apr 22 13:14:00 2002

> I am wondering if anyone made the change to IC to include
> manufacturers in
> the listings. I thought that the idea to have a manufacturer in the
> listing of the product and be able to let the customers pick by the
> manufacturer would be something that was pretty nice.
> If anyone could help It would be great!
>
> Thank you

I didn't mess with that, but came up with another solution that has
worked very well for us...

We have lots of different type as well as manufacturers in our products,
so we have created a "code" system (i.e. a letter or number that
represents a manuf or type) and concatenate them together (with spaces)
in the category column.  I can then set up preset searches (via links,
menu, etc) that will look for only the "codes" that apply in only one
column.. The searches are then very accurate (not searching for text)
and if you add new items in the same format, they will automatically
come up in the existing searches.

<!--end of my two cents-->

  _____

Sincerely,