[ic] Google & Index.html

Steve Graham interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Aug 1 11:15:11 2002

Hello,

I was searching through Google to see how well it was indexing our
redesigned website, and noticed that Google is not storing any of my web
pages with the index.html at the end of the url, thus if you click on a link
you get Sorry, page xxxx was not found. Of course, it is there if you add
the index.html to the url.

eg.
Did a search in the Interchange website of the user mail list using the new
Google search engine and found several results the same.

do a search for:

sorry page was not found

in the search expression and you will find:

Sorry, the page (dev/) was not found
... Miscellaneous. Old News. Interchange Chat. Tip Jar. Minivend 3 Info.
Tallyman Info. Sorry, the page (dev/) was not found. Return to the index.
interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev/ - 16k - Cached - Similar pages
<<

If you add index.html to the end  of
http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev/
you will get the correct page.

Now, is there a way to make Interchange add the index.html to the end of a
request for a directory listing?

http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev/  would automatically return
http://interhcange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev/index.html

Thanks,