[ic] Newbee needs help converting Access DB to MySQL for Interchange bookstore

David Hesson interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Aug 1 20:46:02 2002

Can anyone point me in the direction of simple instructions on how to begin.
I am trying to convert my ASP/Access (85,000 items) bookstore to
Interchange/MySQL.

My bro has a small Hosting company (4 servers) and has installed Interchange
for me and has linked it to his MySQL server. (I have read the literature on
the DB options that Interchange offers and I assume the most preferable
options for a DB of this size is to use MySql.) I downloaded the foundation
store product.txt file, opened it in Excell, added a few of my books to the
template, saved it as tab delimited file and uploaded it as a test. I
visited the  site, expecting the TXT file to be read and the DB appended
with the new items but nothing happened.  No errors etc.  I used the admin
on the site to manually add an item and it worked.

As you can tell from this note, I have little programming experience but am
determined to learn Interchange - I just need a little help - alright a lot
of help - getting started. Anyone feeling sympathetic today??

Dave