[ic] Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.0000IC and W2K can't display a secure page

Joachim Leidinger interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun Aug 4 19:07:00 2002

Bradley Caricofe wrote:
>>Joachim Leidinger wrote:
>>
>>>a client reported to me, he is unable to get the checkout
>>>page, which is
>>>secure. He has
>>>
>>>Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.0000IC
>>>Windows 2000 SP1
>>>
>>>He get a "The page cannot be displayed" page.
>>

> We had a similar issue with a few different versions of IE, but I don't
> think we've seen this behavior with IE 6 or later.  We found the problem to
> be with apache and ssl (sorry I can't offer a better explanation than that,
> it was awhile ago) and fixed it by adding this to httpd.conf for each site
> that was using ssl:
>
> SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
>              nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
>              downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

That helps not, if some special version of Microsoft Internet Explorer
has some problem with SSL, if they has problem or trouble to handle any
kind of SSL session with apache or openssl with higher key of server
cert. It seems to me, there are a some kind of IE OEM version or Windows
version (windows 2000), which is not able to use the update function by
windows itselft, which is needed for handle the newest kind of SSL
handling with newest kind of the cert key from the server and therefore
not able to install some important security packs. One of them security
packs will install some codes to handle any kind of ssl protocoll right
and fix the trouble with  the "page can not found" prolbem.

I user Windows 2K (not a OEM version) and have no problem with IE
6.0.2600.000 and former IE with version 5.00.2195 with Windows 2000 SP 2.

It is only a impression of me, because I'm at the beginning of my
exploration for this problem. But it seems to me, we have a problem,
because the most user agent is IE and we have to solve some borken user
agent of IE anyhow.

Joachim

--
Hans-Joachim Leidinger | Dipl.-Phys.Ing. Entwicklung eCommerce
[leidinger@bpanet.de]