[ic] TcpMap - (dash)

Mon Aug 5 11:15:01 2002

Quoting Orko (orko@eacceleration.com):
> <snip>
> > >
> > > What does the dash mean?  I believe when I first set the UNIX mode
> > > server up the original line was:
> > > TcpMap 7786 -
> > >
> > > But when I compiled the tlink cgi I changed it to the port specified in
> > > my config.h file for the tlink and the catalog is working as is.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any info,
> > >

> > This is documented in icconfig.
>
> Thanks Mike, this is exactly the doc I read from before coming here. ;-)
>
> If I'm reading this correctly, I shouldn't have to worry about a TcpMap
> when using a tlink. Okay, I can hang with that.  But what does the dash
> actually mean?  Does it mean 'all catalogs are mapped to this port when
> in UNIX mode', or the 'mv_admin functions are using this port', or
> something else?  Quoting from the docs you are referring to:
>
> ******
> To use the internal HTTP server (perhaps only for password-protected
> queries), a catalog may be mapped to a port. If three catalogs were
> running on the server www.akopia.com, named simple, sample, and search,
> the directive might look like this:
>
> TcpMap    7786 -  7787 simple 7788 sample 7789 search
> ******
>
> ... I still don't get it.  I guess my question is, should I worry about
> what the TcpMap is set to when running in INET mode, or just take the
> TcpMap configuration line out altogether since it's not needed in INET?

Why did you clip out the first paragraph?

    When running in INET mode, using C<tlink> or the internal HTTP
    server, specifies the port(s) which will be monitored by the
    Interchange server. Default is 7786.

If you remove it, it is just like "7786 -".

It definitely does apply. The - means it is not limited to
one catalog in internal HTTP mode, just like I believe it
says.

You can watch what happens when you set it to a random value
like "TcpMap 29000 -". Your tlink will stop working....

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

I have a cop friend who thinks he ought be able to give a new ticket;
"too dumb for conditions".