[ic] Accounting?

Dan Browning interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Aug 12 16:51:02 2002

At 12:01 PM 8/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Dan Browning wrote:

>>>Compiere does have a lot of promise, but the challenge is that it is not
>>>a ERP system yet as it hasn't any manufacturing or MRP systems at least
>>>as the last time I exchanged messages with the developer back in June...
>>

>>Well, you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.  ;-)  Not everyone
>>manufactures their own products, so it fits the definition of ERP for a
>>lot of people (and these days, everyone makes their own definition).  But
>>a funny twist is that (being an open source project), someone is already
>>working on additional MRP features:
>>
>><quote Michal Materny>
>>I am working on mrp with some elements of master scheduling. Alpha stage is
>>planned at november. Scheduling solution will be based on Preactor so
>>only interface
>>will be provided by me.
>></quote>
>>
>>So you may want to look at Compiere again in a few months.  :-)  Cheers,
>
>Hi Dan,
>
>I meant no ill will with my comments, in fact the main man behind the
>project (Jorg Janke) was very interested in my manufacturing requirements,
>so I do know that it is a 'work-in-process' (pun intended) but I believe
>that even he would still admit that in the ERP sense, it has not yet been
>developed as there is no MRP, MPS, Integrated BOM/Routing/Costing (ie.
>Standard, FIFO, LIFO, Average)/Variances to GL, Cycle Counting, etc...  It
>more resembles a distribution system at the moment and for that I'm sure
>it does a fine job, we were just looking for a potential replacement for
>our cable manufacturing plant in England, I've had all of Sage I can take
>:-) ...

Gotcha.  I've had to do MAS90 (not to mention BusinessWorks/Peachtree)
stuff myself, and they definitely have their quirks.  What's nice about
MAS90, however, is the plethora of specific-industry modules that handle
niche markets (supposedly, I guess, since I have yet to need one ;-) ).

But I think as businesses redirect their license fees into open source
development, a lot of neat stuff will be coming down the pipelines.  CRM
Daily ran an article (http://www.crmdaily.com/perl/story/18858.html) on the
idea that soon open source CRM apps are going to take more market
share.  Anyway, I should probably cap my OT traffic at some point...  cheers,
| Dan Browning, Kavod Technologies <db@kavod.com>
Chemistry is applied theology.
                 -- Augustus Stanley Owsley III