[ic] Accounting?

Barry Treahy, Jr. interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Aug 12 15:02:01 2002

Dan Browning wrote:

> At 07:58 AM 8/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> Dan Browning wrote:

>>> Interchange does a lot, but it doesn't try to do all the accounting
>>> (GL, AR, etc.) itself.  For Quickbooks, the extensions/quickbooks
>>> directory in the tarball has been around for quite some time.  More
>>> recently, Mike Heins has been working on a SQL-Ledger module
>>> originally written by Daniel Thompson <danht@callthenet.com>.
>>> Checkout the latest 4.9 CVS to test that out.

>>> SQL-Ledger is written in Perl.  I highly recommend another open
>>> source accounting/ERP/CRM system, Compiere (http://www.compiere.org).
>>> Compiere developers are interested in integrating it with IC (its
>>> about 50% down the TODO list), but it hasn't been started yet.
>>> Another option available to you is engaging a competent IC
>>> consultant to integrate IC with whatever backend you want (i.e.
>>> already use).
>>> There have been two integrations with MAS90, another via DBI::Proxy
>>> (forgot the backend name), and many others I'm sure done by various
>>> consultants.
>>

>> Compiere does have a lot of promise, but the challenge is that it is
>> not a ERP system yet as it hasn't any manufacturing or MRP systems at
>> least as the last time I exchanged messages with the developer back
>> in June...
>

> Well, you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.  ;-)  Not everyone
> manufactures their own products, so it fits the definition of ERP for
> a lot of people (and these days, everyone makes their own
> definition).  But a funny twist is that (being an open source
> project), someone is already working on additional MRP features:
>
> <quote Michal Materny>
> I am working on mrp with some elements of master scheduling. Alpha
> stage is
> planned at november. Scheduling solution will be based on Preactor so
> only interface
> will be provided by me.
> </quote>
>
> So you may want to look at Compiere again in a few months.  :-)  Cheers,

Hi Dan,

I meant no ill will with my comments, in fact the main man behind the
project (Jorg Janke) was very interested in my manufacturing
requirements, so I do know that it is a 'work-in-process' (pun intended)
but I believe that even he would still admit that in the ERP sense, it
has not yet been developed as there is no MRP, MPS, Integrated
BOM/Routing/Costing (ie. Standard, FIFO, LIFO, Average)/Variances to GL,
Cycle Counting, etc...  It more resembles a distribution system at the
moment and for that I'm sure it does a fine job, we were just looking
for a potential replacement for our cable manufacturing plant in
England, I've had all of Sage I can take :-) ...

Regards,

Barry