[ic] Lazy quoting (was Emailing Encrypted CC Info)

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Aug 16 04:25:01 2002

> Yes, that was what I based my settings on. I've been through the whole
> thing, but still not having much luck. I've posted on that board, also.
> Tim

I've noticed an increasing number of messages that contain lazy
quoting (top-posting) in this mail list.  Obviously, this gives me less
articles to read and reply to; I can spot the lazy quoting and delete
the message reasonably quickly, and without having to read too much of
the text.  I know of a number of other subscribers who also tend to
ignore lazily-quoted followups.

Perhaps there are reasons for the lazy quoting.  I can think of a few:

  1) The user's mail client doesn't support proper quoting.
     (Don't even bother with that excuse - just get a new mail client.)

  2) The user hasn't read their mail client's manual.
     (The user probably hasn't bothered to read the Interchange docs
     either, so I delete the message without wasting any more time.)

  3) The user didn't notice the posting rules when they subscribed to
     this mail list.
     (Oops - I didn't see your message - I must have deleted it.)

  4) The user can't be bothered to quote properly.
     (The article doesn't deserve a followup.)

So, if you want to reply to a message, quote a small part of the
original text, as I have done in this followup, and place your reply
UNDERNEATH.  How difficult can it be?

Lazily quoted followups to this article will be deleted.