[ic] Can this be done with IC?

Eric Tully interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Aug 21 21:46:04 2002

I've bought phone cards from an online company  ( http://www.nobelcom.com )
 and they are super over-protective with security.

The first time you buy from them they won't provide the serial numbers
until they can have an operator place a phone call to you and speak to you
in person to verify your existance.  They want your address, phone number
and email address.  When you come back to the site in the future and login
with your userid/pass, then you can buy a phone card and get the serial
number in real time.  I'm not sure if this is their own regulation or if
it's imposed by their bank.

I know that the credit card companies *do* pay attention to what kind of
stuff you sell and they opt not to supply merchant accounts for businesses
where there are likely to be lots of charge backs (porn, for example).
They will ask you what you are going to sell and they will likely refuse
for high risk items.

If someone steals a credit card number and buys a bunch of phone cards from
you, I think you'd pretty much be screwed since most of the minutes on the
card would be burned off before you found out the card was stolen.

As for the technical aspects of how to do this with IC, I'm sure it can be
done (I've done this kind of project with other shopping carts) but I'm new
enough to IC that I can't tell you the best way to build it.

- Eric