[ic] Sorting by date

John Allman interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Aug 27 13:08:01 2002

Hi - i'm something of a newbie here so this might be a stupid question.

I have a mysql database and am about to add a new table (or tables) to
add news content to the website. The important thing is that i want to
be able to sort news items by date.

i know this is a basic problem but the undoubtedly simple solution is
eluding me. if i store the date as a string with things like Jan and Feb
in it and i sort alphabetically i wont get the results i want.

i could store each value numerically and sort by year then month then
day of the month then time but this seems an ugly way to go about it.

I am running interchange 4.6.5.

thanks in advance!

John Allman