[ic] Re: Requirement to not encrypt credit card numbers

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Aug 28 20:15:02 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 racke@linuxia.de wrote:

> interchange@lannet.com.au writes:
>
> > In the ORDERS_TO email the credit card details are either mangled or
> > encrypted.
> >
> > I have a situation where I can handle the emails on a secure internal
> > network and want to pass them straight thru to a printer anyway.
> >
> > This is simple, but it requires that the CC details be in clear.
> >
> > How is this best handled?
>
> This has been discussed many times on the list. It boils down to
> "don't do that". You already start to loose your customer's confidence
> in your professionality :-(.

Re-read my second paragraph.  I am above average paranoid about network
security to the extent that the internal network traffic is 3DES
encrypted, so don't comment on my professionality.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people