[ic] creating a temporary page variable

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Aug 30 01:20:01 2002

Quoting Jeff Dafoe (jeff@badtz-maru.com):
> > > "Sets a scratch variable to value, but at the end of the user session
> the
> > > Scratch key is deleted"
> >
> > That is actually correct. I don't know where your confusion lies...
>
>     It's in the "at the end of the user session".  It made me think that the
> tmp variable stayed around until the user session expired, or at least that
> there is some sort of stickiness between the tmp value and the user session.
> It seems, from what you are saying, that the scratch key is deleted at the
> end of the page processing.  Or maybe my problem is a misunderstanding of
> the term "scratch key".

Aha. My blind spot. Of course I wrote most of the docs, so I would
have that blind spot both then and now. 8-)

I should change that to "before the user session is saved to
non-volatile storage".

That last little circumlocution is needed because IC sessions can be
sent to a database, stored in a ram disk, or written to a real disk. 8-)

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon