[ic] preventing wildcard searches

Jim Toro interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Dec 7 04:23:00 2002

I have found that for all my searches, if the user leaves the input field
empty and just hits the "search" button they will get a return of all
records in the database.

I know how to limit the number per page, but how can you limit the total
number per search or more importantly how can you avoid wildcard or
ALL records from displaying?

I tried to put the mv_min_string to see if it would require the user
to put at least X characters like this:

  <input type="hidden" name="mv_min_string" value="2">

in the <form></form> but it doesnt seem to do anything.

Am I missing something easy to do?. I really dont want people to do
a full list of a database with one key press.

thanks.