[ic] perl: can't resolve symbol 'mysql_init'

Rick Eicher II interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Dec 10 09:59:01 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: interchange-users-admin@icdevgroup.org
[mailto:interchange-users-admin@icdevgroup.org] On Behalf Of Webmaster
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 8:11 AM
To: Interchange Listserver
Subject: [ic] perl: can't resolve symbol 'mysql_init'

I've been round and round with this.  Read everything I've found in the
archives about this, but still having the problem.  Both DBI & DBD have
been installed.  There seems to have been a question on whether
installing these modules from www.mysql.com or by installing the way the
manual says with the following commands:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBI'

and then,

perl -MCPAN - 'install DBD::mysql'

So just to make sure, we went back in did both above commands.  Perl
comes back and says both the DBI & DBD modules are up to date so it
appears it should work.  However we still get the perl: can't resolve
symbol 'mysql_init' when we try to start a ic with a catalog that's
attempting to use a mysql database.  Note: we can connect to the mysql
database fine from the command line, so the database is set up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this has already been gone through. It seems to me that you
have DBI, DBD, mysql, & interchange all install, and hopefully running
correctly. But they are not taking to each other. If I remember
correctly DBI/DBD have some test scripts to run that will connect to
MySQL. Has your admin run these test script to ensure that DBI/DBD is
able to connect to your running MySQL server. If these scripts do not
run then you have a problem before you even bring Interchange into the
picture. I assume there is nothing in the MySQL or system logs.

If these script do run with out error then go on to looking into why
interchange will not talk to DBI/DBD. Not sure how or in what order you
did everything but once you run the scripts above with out error you
might reinstall interchange.

IMHO DBI/DBD are unable to talk to MySQL. So this is not actually an
interchange issue.

Hope this works out for you,
Rick Eicher II