[ic] Interchange using lots of cpu...

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Dec 16 07:27:01 2002

I've recently used interchange to whip up a demo accessing mysql data, but
have noticed that it seems to consume lots of cpu for a long time filling out
templates.  Admittedly we've brute-forced the demo; it's using
a couple of nested [query] type statements with some [if]s inside to generate
the output list.  But it can take 90 seconds of spinning to generate
a few hundred lines of results.

We're using interchange 4.8.6 on a redhat 7.3 system.  It's a 1ghz
processor with 512mb of ram.  Running top shows that's it's really interchange
sitting there using the cpu.  It's not idle, using lots of memory or using
the disk.  I've looked at the 'list optimization' page on the icdev site
which was quite interesting, but didn't really solve this problem.  Mysql
can find the raw data in fractions of a second.

Is there some tuning parameter that I've missed?  Any perl-related installation
issues?  I can't believe it's this slow normally but can't find anything
obvious.

- gordon